[kde-solaris] Gentle Question

S h i v shivakumar.gn at gmail.com
Tue May 13 18:14:10 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Michael Schuster
<Michael.Schuster at sun.com> wrote:
> Moinak Ghosh wrote:
>
>  >    It is a tricky situation. GCC C++ tends to break ABI compatibility
>  >    with itself now and then which is real trouble. On the other hand
>  >    simply building KDE4 with SUN Studio is just a first step. There
>  >    are N KDE applications out there and each and every one of them
>  >    will require porting to build with SUN Studio essentially making it
>  >    difficult to get more KDE apps on Solaris. Kinda porting hell.
>
>  well ... IMO, "porting" an app once and then knowing it's going to run for
>  the foreseeable future, even if other applications around it are changing,
>  is less of a hell than having to chase ever-newer compiler releases with
>  the potential ABI changes they bring.

Port once and live happily for foreseeable future is a myth.

Software moves due to newer versions.
Compiler moves due to compiler updates albeit much slowly.

What to play catchup with is the choice to be made.
KDE + huge set of KSoftwares is good bit of work to port and then keep
up to date with the future *ongoing* updates.

There are compelling arguments on both sides & I am for now in the gcc camp :)

-Shiv