[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] Gentle Question

Kunal Deo Kunal.Deo at Sun.COM
Mon May 12 23:16:39 CEST 2008

This is somewhat old, but confirms what Shawn has to say.

http://www.osnews.com/story/5830/GNU_GCC_versus_Suns_Compiler_in_the_SPARC_Platform
http://www.osnews.com/comments/5830

ABI comp. in GCC comes at a cost. However few things like scheduler
branch scheduler. works better with gcc.
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Compatibility.html .

However performance issues can be resolved by using flags like -mcpu=v9
or -mcpu=v8
whatever is applicable.
http://blogs.sun.com/alexey/category/Sun?page=1

There is a separate project called gcc4ss which targets at getting
everything running and at the same time faster as well.
http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/

See Alexey's latest blog :
http://blogs.sun.com/alexey/entry/gcc_vs_gccfss_vs_studio

The gap is being bridged. and look at the compatiblity benefits as well
Kunal Deo