[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] Gentle Question

John Sonnenschein johnsonnenschein at gmail.com
Mon May 12 23:08:08 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Shawn Walker <swalker at opensolaris.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Mats Rojestal
>  <mats.rojestal at bredband.net> wrote:
>  >  I can't figure out what the advantage of using sun compilers is,
>  >  maybe a death wish. My simple observations from gcc 4.x.x performance is
>  >  that it's not inferior to other compilers.
>  >  Solaris is not a major player in the OS market and making it harder to
>  >  port software to Solaris isn't really a good idea.
>
>  It's simple. The GNU C++ complier produces binaries that are not ABI
>  compatible with Sun Studio compilers.

or other versions of the gnu compiler.

>  In addition, it produces code that is up to 50% slower on SPARC, and
>  often slower on x86.

arguable in some cases, but generally true IME.

The biggest reason that I can see though is that ARC says "sun studio
for all C++ integrations" (precisely because g++ can't keep it's own
abi stable across releases ), meaning that if it's going in to
Solaris, it has to be done via studio CC

--
PGP Public Key 0x437AF1A1
Available on hkp://pgp.mit.edu