[kde-solaris] export KDE display

Paul Floyd paulf at free.fr
Tue Jun 17 18:37:12 CEST 2008

Quoting Daniel Kirks <dkirks at berklee.edu>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to launch kde from the command line and export the display
> to a remote machine.  I can't locate any executable relating to kde on
> my system:
>
> bash-2.05$ uname -mrsv
> SunOS 5.9 Generic_118558-11 sun4u

Hi

I'm not too sure what you are expecting/trying to do. You have Solaris 9. It
doesn't include KDE, so you'll have to install it e.g., from Blastwave.

Next, are you trying to export the entire desktop (as with VNC or Reflection X),
or just one or more applications? If the former, then you will have to install
and start the VNC server (I don't think that Reflection X requires anything). If
the latter, then you need to connect to the Solaris 9 machine with e.g. ssh
using X11 tunelling (ssh -X), and the display will be exported for you. You can
then launch any X11 app, including KDE ones.

A+
Paul