[kde-solaris] Building KDE 3.5.7 on Solaris Express (SXDE)

morgan henning morgan at hitechtx.com
Thu Oct 25 08:31:49 CEST 2007

Well, I don't know if reverting to a stock Solaris 10 (6/06) with the
latest patches fixed my issue, or trying KDE 3.5.8 fixed it, but this
comes to you from a konsole session on Solaris 10/x86.

For reference: below the libart stuff below seems to have been some kind
of issue with the linker (a hand built gcc that used a hand built gnu ld
worked for the same box, but I got some other errors, so I tried S10
again).  The library was there.  I was pointing to it in every way I knew
how...  My LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointed to it, and all manner of compile time
flags didn't solve the issue (nor did the hand made (?) .la file, but I
learned about libtool from that one :) ).

With my current config, the Sun included gcc 3.4.3 built KDE fine.  I
don't think that this was the case before, but I've tried this so many
times in the past couple months, that I don't remember all the gyrations
that I went through.

Now, after building a base KDE (kdelibs, kdebase, kdeartwork, and some
more building now), I am going to see if I can make it work with all the
possible support libraries KDE might want (OpenEXR, etc.).  If anyone's
interested, I can send along the flags I use to build it all.  I have no
idea if this would work on Sparc as a process, but until I have everything
flushed out on x86, I am not going to put my poor Ultra 5 to work on KDE
juuuust yet ;)

Has anyone else had good luck with KDE 3.5.8 ??

Morgan Henning
morgan at hitechtx.com