[kde-solaris] KDE 3.4.3: How to "mkdtlogin" for the "C" locale? / Binary patches missing on sunfreeware

Andreas Loew Andreas.Loew at Sun.COM
Sun Oct 7 13:36:26 CEST 2007

All,

this morning, I have successfully installed Stefan Teleman's KDE 3.4.3
build from sunfreeware on my Solaris 10u4 laptop (running the 32-bit
kernel), but run into one interesting question:

I would like to run my KDE login using the default "C" locale (as
opposed to en_US.UTF8 or de_DE.UTF-8).

I tried to call mkdtlogin the following way:

# mkdtlogin -b /usr -l C

but did not succeed: When choosing the default "C/POSIX" locale, I don't
get a "KDE 3.4.3 [32-bit C]" option in the dtlogin "Sessions" menu.

However, doing the exact same for "en_US.UTF-8" worked just fine: After
executing

# mkdtlogin -b /usr -l en_US.UTF-8

and choosing the en_US.UTF-8 locale in dtlogin, a "KDE 3.4.3 [32-bit
en_US-UTF-8]" session *is* selectable from the menu.

So my question is:

How do I create a proper "Sessions" entry for the "C" locale in order to
run KDE with the "C" locale?

Thanks in advance for any hints, best regards

Andreas

P.S.:
One more issue: Please note that the sunfreeware site

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/KDE/IA32AMD32/PATCHES.BINARIES

is missing the binary patches, as are its numerous mirrors. I only found
the patches on one single (luckily) outdated mirror in Thailand:

ftp://ftp.nectec.or.th/.a/2/linux-softwares/KDE/stable/3.4.3/contrib/Solaris/SUNSTUDIO10/IA32AMD32/PATCHES.BINARIES

Can someone please put them back onto the main sunfreeware server? Thanks!

--
Andreas Loew
Java Architect