[kde-solaris] Improve Startup-Speed for KDE!?

michael schuster Michael.Schuster at Sun.COM
Thu Jul 5 15:54:07 CEST 2007

André Schneider wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> michael schuster wrote:
>> hmm ... this is an interesting statement - in my experience, once you
>> know and use DTrace, a lot of issues can be resolved much more quickly
>> then without
>
> I'm interested in DTrace but I didn't used it before.
>
> Please, could you give some hints. What I have to do?
> The goal is to observe a certain KDE application.
>
> - Are there any changes at OS level necessary?
>   (reboot?)

no! that's the nice thing about DTrace: it comes with the OS *but* has
no (none, nix, keinen) impact on the system as long as it's not
activated ;-)

> - ... changes at application level ...?

not initially - you may want to add probe points at a later time once/if
you've narrowed it down to something specific.

> - How can I start the observation process using DTrace?

example (prints a LOT of output! you may want to pipe this through
less/more/pg):

# dtrace -n 'pid$target:libc::entry,pid$target:libc::return{}' -c 'ls'

-c takes exactly one string as an argument, so if your program uses
options/args, enclose the whole thing in quotes, eg
	-c '~/bin/myprog one_arg two_arg'

(you'll need to run this as root or assign yourself the appropriate
dtrace_* privileges).

subscribe to dtrace-discuss at opensolaris.org (seriously - you can learn a
lot by "hanging around")

Depending on the release of Solaris you're running, there may also be a
few examples in /usr/demo/dtrace/

> - How can I see or postprocess the results?

see above. (it's just text ...)

I'm not familiar with the specific issues, so I can't go into more
detail. I *strongly* recommend you download and read the DTrace guide
from http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/ - it (and that
page) is probably the best starting point.

HTH
Michael
--
Michael Schuster	Sun Microsystems, Inc.