[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] KBE 1.0 - Build enviroment for KDE

Stefan Teleman stefan.teleman at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 11 17:58:42 CET 2007

Shawn Walker wrote:

> Because you haven't yet said that the libraries would be named any
> differently. Thus, a binary application distributed that was linked
> against a version of say, Qt, that was compiled with the normal C++
> runtime instead of stdcxx would likely have issues.

What kind of "issues" ?

The run-time loader /usr/lib/ld.so.1 binds to $SONAME, not to the
actual filename of the shared library.

Whomever wants to write an application and link against stdcxx or QT
or libCstd.so.1 in Solaris better know the difference between
different C++ Libraries, how they work, and what they need to do to
get it right.

> In addition, you seem to be throwing cold water on any administrators
> who like to administer diskless systems. /usr is *not* used for 3rd
> party software for a reason.

Sysadmins can figure it out, that's what they get paid to do. If they
don't want KDE in /usr, they can pkgrm  it. They don't even have to
install it in the first place, since it's unlikely that KDE will be
available in all the Solaris metaclusters. Probably only in developer
and full.

>>> In the end, as much as I dislike it. I can live with kde in /usr and
>>> maybe even our C deps. Though I would still like /usr/local better
>>> since that's what many GNU/Linux apps do today even!
>> No, that won't work either.

/usr/local: Over My Dead Body.

That aside, /usr/local is used by Sunfreeware and i am not about to
start a directory war with Steve Christensen, who is a very
knowledgeable, gracious, polite, friendly and helpful guy.

> The default locations argument also only applies to software that Sun
> is distirbuting, not 3rd party software.

/usr/apache or /usr/apache2 or /usr/perl5 or /usr/php5 or /usr/mysql5.
In Solaris.

Not /opt/apache, /opt/apache2, /opt/perl5, /opt/php5 or /opt/mysql5.

Stefan Teleman
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
stefan.teleman at Sun.COM