[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] KBE 1.0 - Build enviroment for KDE

Shawn Walker swalker at opensolaris.org
Tue Dec 11 19:12:27 CET 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 10:58 AM, Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman at sun.com> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>
> > Because you haven't yet said that the libraries would be named any
> > differently. Thus, a binary application distributed that was linked
> > against a version of say, Qt, that was compiled with the normal C++
> > runtime instead of stdcxx would likely have issues.
>
> What kind of "issues" ?
>
> The run-time loader /usr/lib/ld.so.1 binds to $SONAME, not to the
> actual filename of the shared library.

Whatever. I don't care about the $SONAME, I don't care about any of that.

Again, since you seem to be ignoring my question.

Please explain to me plainly how the conflict between two packages
that both want to deliver Qt4, both linked against different C++
runtimes, and both possibly with the same filename and/or $SONAME is
going to be addressed?

> /usr/local: Over My Dead Body.

Would you like cyanide or Iocaine with that?

> That aside, /usr/local is used by Sunfreeware and i am not about to
> start a directory war with Steve Christensen, who is a very
> knowledgeable, gracious, polite, friendly and helpful guy.

So instead of pissing of Steve, you'll piss off the admins and ignore
the guidelines that your own company established. That sounds like a
great idea!
--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben