[kde-solaris] KBE 1.0 - Build enviroment for KDE

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Dec 5 15:33:40 CET 2007

On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Lukas Oboril wrote:
> > I was confused by "KDE Build Environment" as if it was about building KDE
> > itself (and all of its dependencies). Now that that's cleared up, it
> > makes a lot more sense. Does the name "KDE Build Environment" really fit?
> > I mean, it's basically a whole bunch of modern build tools you would want
> > anyway. What about /opt/gnubuild ?
>
> Yes it seems to be a better name, but not all of those tools are gnu,
> therefore I chose kdebld name (it's based on CBE - common build
> environment, which have Sun's Gnome guys and installed /opt/jdsbuild).
> It just a name.

So it is, so it is (just a name). So we've got all the build things over
in /opt/kdebld (or possibly /opt/kdebuild) and can work from there.

> > Is the intention to specfile the whole thing as one blob, or each part
> > individually?
>
> Uff I'm sorry, but I don't understand clearly at this point. Do you
> are talking about spec files ???

Yes, I meant "are all the components of KBE going to be packaged separately or
will they all be part of one big package?" I don't know the specs work
otherwise.

> My plan is:  prepare spec file for all tools/libs in current svn (at
> cvsdude). One spec file (stdcxx.spec) per tool/lib (Stdcxx). First i'm
> preparing 32bit version and then second 64bit version. Now I have
> 64bit version for stdcxx and boost. These spec files are located in
> SPECS directory.

You didn't list stdcxx earlier: so that is part of kdebld as well? My instinct
is to call that a KDE dependency, not part of the build system. So from here
forwards we could rely on the KBE being available in the rest of the build
setup (take a look in cvsdude Build/, which already held tools and patches
for a number of build tools and a bunch of dependencies).

> P.S. Adriaan, please provide me the naming convenction.

Gosh, that makes me sound so .. bossy. I'm mostly trying to coordinate between
historical decisions which people may be working towards and your work. In
many ways I'd say: *you* are doing stuff, so *you* get to decide.

If I recall correctly, we were going to:

- Install dependencies in /opt/kdesupport, including libstdcxx
- Install Qt in /opt/qt-<version>
- Install KDE in /opt/kde-<version>

But that can be found somewhere in the archives of kde-solaris (or in Stefan's
memory, I'm sure).

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot