[kde-solaris] Konversation and Sun Studio

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 15:33:16 CET 2006

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 09:06, Mikael Dalsgard wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am attempting to compile Konversation (a KDE IRC client) using
> Sun Studio 11 (due to my KDE and Qt being compiled with this).
> Quite a lot of it compiles cleanly apart from having to add a
> couple of header files here and there. But I am stuck in a part
> where the compiler complains about not being able to find a proper
> match for an instantiation of a template (instantiated from another
> template).
>
> Without providing too much detail on this occation, I just want to
> ask if the Sun compilers are known to have problems with templates
> (or perhaps: if template based source code mainly created with gcc
> in mind, usually proves to be a hassle compiling with Sun Studio)?

Yes and yes. :-) Templates are generally the worst example of
non-portability between GCC and Sun Studio. Often this translates
into having to rewrite entire sections of code.

I'll download the Konversation source tonight and see where it gets
stuck and ill have a patch.

I will also upload the K3B binary patches tonight as well. :-)