[kde-solaris] GNU Makefiles should only use Bourne Shell Syntax - Not Bash.

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 21:19:22 CET 2005

On Monday 31 January 2005 14:22, Rolf Sponsel wrote:
> Stefan, with all respect, I'd love to be able to retract it,
>
> but didn't you write:
> > It is not true that the FSF pages contain references to the
> > Bourne shell. They contain references to /bin/sh, which on
> > GNU/Linux means the Bourne Again Shell, i.e. bash.
>
> This statement, see link below, is - unfortunately - entirely
> false, and lacks any kind of back up. Please prove me being wrong.

my statement is true. i have not found a single reference to the
"Bourne Shell". the only references i see are to '/bin/sh'. i copied
and pasted here the symlink from /bin/sh to /bin/bash. There is *NO*
/bin/sh binary on Linux. Only /bin/bash. again: /bin/sh is a symlink
to /bin/bash.

> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-solaris&m=110718905102403&w=2
> MARC: msg 'Re: [kde-solaris] Re: Unhelpful error building dcop in
> kdelibs'
>
> They, the GNU people, explicitly mention that they do *NOT*
> mean bash when they refer to '/bin/sh'.

which is a symlink to /bin/bash. you do remember me copying and
pasting the symlink on Linux yes ?

[steleman at darthvader][~][01/31/2005 15:15:08][7]>> ls -la /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 2003-12-27 23:33 /bin/sh ->
bash
[steleman at darthvader][~][01/31/2005 15:15:12][8]>>

"Write the Makefile commands (and any shell scripts, such as
configure) to run in sh, not in csh. Don't use any special features
of ksh or bash."

to be found at

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/make_124.html#SEC128

well i have news for you. that is *not* the case. ./configure will
*NOT* run correctly with the Solaris /bin/sh. it will only run
correctly with /bin/bash, and with CONFIG_SHELL set to /bin/bash. you
can quote this sh-only syntax constraint on the FSF page all you
want. what matters here is reality, not recommendations, or
theoretcial points. and the reason ./configure will not run correctly
with the Solaris /bin/sh is because it is in fact written for
/bin/bash. there are also countless examples where common system
utilities like 'tar', 'rm' or 'diff' within ./configure generated
Makefiles are being passed GNU-specific command line options, which
are invalid with the Solaris distributed tar, rm, or diff. there are
also countless examples where ./configure generated Makefiles contain
directives or variables which are GNU make specific.

you still have not shown which of my statements are "spreading FUD".

what exactly is it that you are trying to prove ? that documentation
found on URL's supersedes reality ?