[kde-solaris] Re: kde-solaris Digest, Vol 22, Issue 9

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 01:22:42 CET 2005

1. You can run KDE 3.3.2/3.3.1 just fine on Solaris 10
(well...). You'd want to build it on Sol 9 so you can
test it against the Solaris 10 builds until
finalization.

2. A Sun engineer has gcc working on Solaris 10. You
need the latest version to get the amd64 compiles
working as expected.

3. You can use the Forte build or GCC3 builds of KDE
3.3.1/3.3.2 from the various places on
http://solaris.kde.org. Unless you wanto do it for
fun.

4. Sun doesn't official support KDE. Certain people
may be able to do builds for Sun to put on the
Companion disk or elsewhere.

5. Many of us compile with GCC3 since the compiler is
commonly and freely available. Economies of scale, I
guess. KDE is designed around GCC C++ compatibility so
it just seems logical. ;o>

6. Solaris 10 was in a state of flux so you'd have to
be specific on which build you are building on. The
main thing to do is to wait till FCS before you build
a large program like KDE or you may end up heartbroken
in the end if something changes last minute that
breaks your compiles/packages.

~K