[kde-solaris] Is kde-forte's performance claim a myth?

rain cip raincip at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 00:00:30 CET 2005

Here is the file command output on the gcc compiled
versin of kate:

$file /opt/csw/kde-gcc/bin/kate
kate:           ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS
 Version 1, V8+ Required, UltraSPARC1 Extensions
 Required, dynamically linked, stripped

So I am guessing that -mcpu=ultrasparc and -mv8plus
are used to compile it.  I am not familar with the
KDE source code as a whole.  But I wonder in what
area of KDE will the Forte compiler help to optimize
the run-time performance better than the gcc
compiler?  Someone already mentioned khtml here.
I frankly didn't see a noticeable performance
difference when loading up the same HTML pages in
both the Forte version and the gcc version of the
konquer.  Could it be that being a window system, KDE
is bound to the I/O bottleneck that a good graphics
card and hard drive will diminish any optimization
advantage the Forte compiler has over the gcc?

rain