[kde-solaris] Is kde-forte's performance claim a myth?

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Tue Jan 18 11:18:55 CET 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 01:25, rain cip wrote:
> How could this be?  Can someone give me some hard
> evidence to prove that the kde forte package can
> run faster than the kde gcc package?  Is there a
> kde frame test tool that I can use to measure the
> system speed?

No, and moving windows or opening applications is a poor way of testing
performance.

To get full benefit of forte you should enable all the architecture specific
optimizations (-xtarget=native), enable inline expansion of math (-xmlib) and
loop prefetching.
The places you will get the biggest speedups are still in algorithmic dependen
calculations such as rendering in KHTML, searching in KMail or highlighting
in Kate.
The speed improvements are only in 10-30% range (higher for floating-pointer
maybe, but not much of that is used in KDE), so don't expect much you can
notice without benchmarking.

`Allan