[kde-solaris] Adding KDE 3.4.1 to session menu in dtlogin

Mirko Raner mirko at raner.ws
Wed Aug 31 19:31:23 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I recently installed KDE 3.4.1 (SunStudio build) on a SunBlade 2500.
After the usual little adjustments (installing libsunmath.so in
/usr/lib, etc.) I can start KDE manually and it runs just fine. I also
installed the kdedtlogin package, but KDE does not appear in the session
list of the login screen.

I am aware of Michael Peek's make-dtlogin script, but I am somewhat
reluctant to use it, because, frankly, the login screen looks a lot
different now in Solaris 10, and some of the actions performed by that
script don't seem to make sense to me. For example, make-dtlogin
requires a bitmap that is supposed to be displayed when a particular
login manager is selected. This makes perfect sense for the old dtlogin
that I know from Solaris 9, but my login screen under Solaris 10 does
not have any WM-specific image. Also, the content format of the
/usr/dt/Xsession* files seems to be different from what is described in
the original HOWTO on which make-dtlogin is based.

So, has anyone managed to add KDE to the dtlogin menu under Solaris 10?
The KDE 3.4.1 installation is one of my very first experiences with
Solaris 10, and I noticed that a lot has changed compared to Solaris 9,
especially in the startup/init procedure (a lot of the S/K scripts are
now replaced by svcadm, etc.). So maybe this is just a misconception
about Solaris 10 on my part. At any rate, hints and suggestions are
appreciated!

Thanks,

Mirko Raner