Antw: Re: [kde-solaris] KDE 3.3.0 Solaris 8 and 9 packages available

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 14 02:41:39 CEST 2004

I am going to reply to this in the open, because i do not want this to
become "he said and then he said and then he said" ... and so on.
This way, i am hoping to minimize misunderstandings.

I did not take anything from you, or anyone else. KDE 3.3 was
officially released on August 19 of this year. The source was made
available to the packagers, as always, before the official release
date. If i remember correctly, i received the first email about
source being available on August 12 of this year.

I created a directory named "Solaris" under stable/3.3/contrib on
August 21, 2004. At that time i knew that i was going to build KDE
for both Solaris 8 and 9. I also created a directory called
"FORTE9BUILD", thinking i would put my packages there.

These directories stayed *empty* until September 11, 2004 early
morning New York time. Funny, since i'm usually the one who is one
month late building wth Forte. There were *no* other KDE packages
under the Solaris directory tree. Since there was nothing there, i
created two directories: one named "8" and one named "9", and removed
the "FORTE9BUILD" directory because it served no purpose. And i
uploaded the Solaris 8 packages in "8", and the Solaris 9 packages in
"9".

I do not know, and cannot guess what other people's intentions are.
Especially when these intentions are not stated. Up until today, i
have received no indication whatsoever that you have ever tried to
contact me. If it really is that difficult to get through
RoadRunner's stupid spam filters, and you are really trying to email
me, then you can certainly post a short message to that effect, on
this list, or on other lists to which we both subscribe, and i will
find a way for you to send me email. I have several private email
addresses, and i can ask RoadRunner to unblock your domain, if it is
blocked.

On September 6 i posted a small pre-announcement to this list, about
KDE packages for both Solaris 8 and 9. If there really was something
you wanted to talk to me about, why didn't you try to contact me
between that date, and September 12 ?

I have never prevented you, or anyone else, in _any_ way, from
building KDE, or from uploading it anywhere. I never had, nor do i
have now, such intention. At the same time, let me point out to you
that none of us has a monopoly over directory naming conventions. If
anything, the convention that packages for KDE on Solaris are stored
in directories named after the Solaris major version number, was
started by me, in 2003.

--Stefan

-----