[kde-solaris] few questions

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 30 05:59:21 CET 2004

Hi.

On Monday 29 November 2004 23:05, Erick Cedillos wrote:
>  When I try to browse the internet I get
> the following error...
>
> error ocurred while loading http://www.sun.com
> Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
> klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_http'

I can't reproduce the problem here -- Konqueror works fine. But that's
no consolation for your trouble.

There could be several reasons for this:
1. Make sure the files kio_http.so and kio_http.la are in
/opt/kde-3.3.1/lib/kde3 -- they should be, i just checked the
pkgproto file for KDEkdelibs-331.
2. Makre sure you have the program /opt/kde-3.3.1/bin/kchmod installed
setuid root
3. How much swap space do you have available ? You need at least 3
times core RAM in swap. I would recommend to increase the swap
partition to 2GB.

> Also, when I click on the lan browser and click on the SMB folder,
> the following error comes up...
>
> Could not start process Unable to create io-slave
> klauncher said : unknown protocol 'smb'

This is because i didnt build the kio_smb files for 3.3.1. I can build
them an upload a patch tomorrow evening, that is no problem.

> Can you advice?  I have done everything mentioned on the
> KDE_installation instructions and my system specs are the
> following.. sun dual ultra60 360mhz
> elite creator graphics with standard sound.

This should be more than fine -- this is what i have also for Solaris
8.

Please let me know. Konqueror and kio_http should work with no
problems.