[kde-solaris] Re: fibonacci

Laurent Blume laurent at elanor.org
Wed Nov 24 11:40:16 CET 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Christopher Layne wrote:
> Forte is so great a compiler that it is 33% faster on a
> CPU architecture that Sun has, comparitively, less experience on
> than gcc?

Well, Sun has some experience in computing, too :-)
Also, IIRC, GCC does not do any architecture optimisation by default, it builds
for 386 or 486, while the -fast option on the Sun CC compiler does.

"Note that -fast on x86 expands to -xarch=native"
http://docs.sun.com/source/817-6697/cc_ops.app.html

GCC could probably get more performance with some tweaking, too. -fast seems to
be a handy shortcut.

> I'm just not buying it - nor am I really buying this form of
> benchmarking. A single fibonacci run-through is not enough.

You don't have to buy it -- you can try it before :-)
Then, it's up to you to decide whether it work better for your particular
application, and if it's worth the price.

Laurent
--
A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!