[kde-solaris] [preannouncement] KDE 3.3.1 Solaris 8/9 SPARC Forte build

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 4 01:18:05 CET 2004

Feel free to time test KDE built with Forte vs KDE built with GCC, and
post the results. Saying "30%, Come on" is not exactly computer
science, or a counter argument.

Or, get the Forte flags from my KDE patches, write a small program
which calculates PI 10000 times, compile i with those flags (Forte 8
or 9), and run it.
Do the same thing with GCC, with your favorite flags, and run it.
Then please post the source code of the program, the compiler flags
you used, and the results.

Hint: it's been done before.

Instruction prefetch _is_ supported on UltraSPARC II, not just III or
better. And cache instruction prefetch is not the only way to achieve
very aggressive optimizations with Forte on UltraSPARC. It's just one
of the ways of optimizing, and there are specific ways of setting the
optimization of prefetch-to-load and prefetch-to-store factors, and
also specifiying cache properties. There's tons of other things one
can do with registers, enabling the visual instruction set, pointer
aliasing,

I am not aware of anyone at GCC claiming they achieve the same
optimization levels on UltraSPARC as the Sun compiler.

--Stefan

------