[kde-solaris] ... people are running KDE3 on systems with as little as 64MB for daily use.

Eva Brucherseifer eva at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 10:15:56 CET 2004

I can confirm the same. If Solaris uses significantly more memory than Linux
running the same software, I'd say that Solaris is quite broken. I don't
believe this though.

To compare things: The linux machines I administrate usually have 512MB and
about 1G swap. Running KDE alone with kmail, multiple instances of konqueror
and konsole, maybe some kdevelop's opened I don't need any swap. Usually swap
is needed if I open several instances of OpenOffice or Matlab. I am
developing an application for analysis loading masses of data which needs
additional 40MB and I still don't have any problems.

I really think, something else is broken for those people who have problems
with a similar or even larger memory setup.

Greetings,
eva