[kde-solaris] swap space requirements [was: KDE 3.1.4 - Can'ttalk to klauncher]

Laurent Blume laurent at elanor.org
Mon Jan 26 22:24:34 CET 2004

André Schneider wrote:

> I learned the factor 3 rule for swap space
> when I was a pupil at school. :) I think it's
> simply basic UNIX knowledge and all of
> system administrators in our Institute
> configure computers with this rule in mind.
>
> Where is the problem?

That it depends on the OS, and that there is no rule :-)

I've seen Linux boxen run very well as workstations with *no* swap at
all, and small amounts of RAM (256 or 512).

I'm also seeing at work Windows 2000 peecees that are crawling on their
knees because they have 3 times as much swap as memory. Instead of
saying "I need memory!", they just get horribly slow and unusable (and
since there is no message, no need for the IT department to add memory,
of course).

On Solaris 9 x86, I used to have only 256 MiB and 650 MiB swap, and KDE
was really annoying klauncher was crashing usually after a few minutes.
I added 256 more, no change in swap, and no more problem.

Just my own experience - I know other people have different ones :-)
And I'm planning to fill up my MB with 3 GiB, to be ready when KDE 3.2
is out ;-)

Laurent