[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1.4 Artsd is preventing sound output ? !

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Fri Jan 2 16:10:06 CET 2004

Stefan Teleman wrote:
> Try setting the permission of artsd to non-setuid root (0755) and see
> if it makes a difference ?
>
> --Stefan
>
> -----

I did the proposed test.
The result was that "artsd" did not start at all. And I
heard all sounds including the start up jingle.

I started look around in the "Control Center" applikation and
realised that it was possible to put "artsmessage" in debug mode.
So I put it in debug mode.

After I changed the Setuid bit back to on for "artsd" (4775) and restared KDE
by logout/login I got  Eighty ( 80 )  messages saying:

    Warning - Artsmessage
    Sound server warning message:
    file format extension "wav" unsupported.

As all the sound files are .wav 's  this is ofcourse
a wee problem.

  How can we find out why "artsd" thinks Wav's  are unsupported ?