Followup: [kde-solaris] xmodmap problems SOLVED

Roman Maeder maeder at mathconsult.ch
Tue Feb 10 09:09:32 CET 2004

> > it is very well hidden; I couldn't find it in the man pages, but if you
> > start Xsun with +kb, it loads the XKEYBOARD extension and things are
> > starting to fall into place. The compose key now works.
>
>    I have a little problem  with this,
>
>    when I added +kb  to the end of the Xsun startup line in
>   /etc/dt/config/Xservers , one key stopped working !
>
>    The key in question is justabove the right-shift-key and
>    just to the left of the Enter key. It is marked  [ * ' ]
>    "star apostrofe"  on a swedish keyboard. This is obviously not
>    a KDE problem.

hmm, could it be that ' is now a "dead" key? Does anything happen
if you press the space bar afterwards? Failing that you could probably
patch it by adding the missing keysyms with xmodmap. /usr/openwin/demo/xev
will show you the keycode of that key.

>    I am using Solaris8 on a sunblade1500 patch level 108528-27

Same OS, much older machine :-(, but Unix keyboard. The only problem I
noticed is that key repeat is no longer working. This is a known problem
with the xkb extension of Xsun, one that Sun apparently doesn't care about.

>    can you show us the exact XSUN line in  /etc/dt/config/Xservers
>    that you use ?
>
>    I am useing:
>
> :0 Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -dev /dev/fb defdepth 24 -nobanner

I don't use dtlogin, but start up X the old-fashioned way. Anyway the server
line I am using is

	/usr/openwin/bin/X :0 +kb -dev /dev/fb defdepth 24

Roman