[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1 and vold

Alan Mizrahi kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Sun Mar 16 04:56:00 2003

Is KDE 3.1 supposed to work with vold on solaris?

This are my experiences trying to use KDE 3.1 with vold:

I create a floppy device on the desktop (/dev/diskette). When I click it I
hear my floppy drive working, but I get an error message: "Malformed URL
http://file:"
After that I can go to /floppy/floppy0 and find that the diskette was mounted,
although the icon takes me nowhere, and it doesn't reflect that the diskette
was mounted (the icon didn't change).

The cdrom icon works using /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s2, but this device could be
different on different machines, is there a standard cdrom device or a link
to the default device? I tried with /vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0 and it didn't
work.

I could create a "Link to Location" icon pointing to /floppy/floppy0, but then
I would have to manually execute volrmmount and volcheck instead of just
clicking the icon to get to my files.

On a related note, I noticed there is no DEFAULT_CD_DEVICE for Solaris on the
KDE sources, and in some files it is hardcoded to /dev/cdrom.
I made a little patch to kdemultimedia to fix this, if anyone is interested I
can send it.

Regards,

--
			Alan Mizrahi