[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1.2 on Solaris 8 w/ gcc v3.3

Dan and Michelle Smith dssmms at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 08:17:19 CEST 2003

All,
    I just thought I would let you know I was successful in compiling KDE 3.1.2 on a Solaris8 machine using the latest version of gcc (v3.3, downloaded from http://www.sunfreeware.com).  I downloaded all my KDE packages from the KDE website and followed (to the letter) the instructions for building.  I also grabbed the versions of libxml, prce and lesstif that the KDE compile page recommended.
    Also, http://www.sunfreeware.com suggested that there were problems with v1.72 of automake when attempting to use it with KDE and recommended v1.5.  I followed their recommendation and use their automake v1.5.

    However...there were a few quirky things...
    o    I had an older version of libstdc++ (v4.0.0) previously installed in /usr/local/lib.  Even though gcc v3.3 installed newer versions and updated the links, the KDE libs were linking to BOTH libstdc++.so.5.0.4 and libstdc++.so.4.0.0.  I had to physically remove the old libs for it to work.
    o    kmail was crashing.  I found that an assertion was being called at line #917 of kmmsgbase.cpp:
        assert(sizeOfLong == 1);
        I commented that line out, the recompiled at it now works fine.  Don't know if this is a bug, or a configuration issue.
    o    I had to configure without krdc and krfb in the kdenetwork package.  Neither would compile (I forgot the error...sorry).

Other than that, everything seems to be working fine.  Unfortunately, I cannot share any of these executables with the community because the system I compiled it on is, ah, shall we say 'proprietary', and I am not allowed to copy anything off the system.  I truly am sorry (since it took me 3 days to compile everything!!!), but I felt at least giving everybody my configuration info would be the nexy best thing.

Feel free to e-mail me if you try this and are unsuccessful.  There may be something I forgot to mention (there always is :).

Dan