[kde-solaris] Re: KDE on Solaris Companion CD

Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Tue Feb 25 09:26:01 2003

Bart> [...]
Bart> I can't.  I would be very interested in hearing Sun's reasons for this
Bart> decision, however.
Bart> [...]

Hello Bart,

I think there are lots of reasons for a software developer such as Sun
Microsystems to make Gnome the first choice:

o Using QPL would result in high costs per user
o Linking 3rd party applications against C++ libs is allways a nightmare
  as it requires the same compiler the lib was build with
o Everything that is linked against the qt lib must be provided
  by source
o I think it was a bad choice by Trolltech to use the GPL for the qt lib
  instead a licence like freebsd uses
o And regarding the development state Gnome is about to reach the KDE's

See also:

http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/gnome/faq/generalfaq.html#4q0
http://wwws.sun.com/software/whitepapers/index.html#4

Peter

--
Peter Weiss               / Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com
Sun Microsystems GmbH     / Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten