[kde-solaris] Re: KDE on Solaris Companion CD

LeBar, Russell kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Tue Feb 18 18:18:24 2003

I have not tried the latest version. I used the KDE 2.2.x one on my Ultra-10
but could not use it on our production Sun Ray servers due to the lack of
support for simultaneous logins. Right now I'm trying to get KDE 3.1 to
compile.

We are currently still using KDE 1.2 on those production Sun Ray servers. I
would really, really like to be able to use KDE 3.1 as migrating our users
to that will be much easier than going to GNOME (and I personally think KDE
is the better desktop, especially for new users). If SUN could provide
packages of the latest release shortly after it came out then we would be
using them. I can understand why SUN made GNOME the new default desktop, but
it would be really nice to see KDE get a decent amount of official support
(in terms of packages) as an alternate choice.

If you came out with a KDE 3.1 package I would be very interested in it
(assuming I have not gone insane from trying to compile it myself first! ;-)

-- Russ LeBar
UNIX System Administrator
Enterprise Rent-A-Car