[kde-solaris] KDE on Solaris Companion CD

Eva Brucherseifer kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Tue Feb 18 17:44:32 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 14:31, Eric Boutilier wrote:
> Today, Ian Collins wrote:
> > Eric Boutilier wrote:
> > >Hi.
> > >
> > >We're looking for feedback regarding the usefulness of having KDE
> > >available on the Solaris Companion CD (available for download
> > >here: sun.com/solaris/freeware).
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
> > >
> > >Eric
> >
> > I've been using it since you posted it, no problems and a worthwhile
> > addition to the CD.
> >
> > Are you doing an update for 3.1?
>
> Yes, it will get delivered as part of the Solaris 9 update that
> will start shipping in the fall, but we plan to have it available
> for download from the Companion CD web site a few months before that.

Hi Eric,

I appreciate it very much, that Sun is going to provide better support for
KDE. It would be great if this leads to more recent packages and security
updates. So far I never used the Companion CD because the packages are simply
outdated. Please be also aware of the fact that the version Sun is shipping
on the current Companion CD has some serious security problems which are
well-known since december 2002.

Would it be possible that Sun provides official KDE packages on ftp.kde.org?
The kde project closely works together with several distributors in order to
prepare binary packages between the release of the source code and the
official announcement (usually 1-2 weeks). There is a special non-public
mailinglist which is used for internal coordination.

Greetings,
eva