[kde-solaris] Compiling 3.1 on Solaris 8 with gcc 3.2

Hans Meine kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Thu Feb 13 15:36:01 2003

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 17:55, Paul Hands wrote:
> It would seem that I did build QT correctly, then, and it's just the
> INSTALL file which is making me worry.  It specifically states that
> after a successful "make", a "make install" installs in the relevant
> places as defined by prefix(es).

Trolltech changed that; Qt _can_ now be installed into a separate place (given
to configure with --prefix optionally) with "make install" like most other
software, too. But it is still possible to use the build directory as $QTDIR,
there is only some more stuff than you really need in it.

> The error seems to be from ld, so it might be a library issue, I guess?
> I think I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH fairly complete, but if I knew how to
> decode the actual error message, I might stand a better chance.

IMHO that has nothing to do with missing libs / LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The error
messages you posted suggest to me that the wrong linker is used (ld instead
of g++ for example) because symbols like __builtin_delete should always be
available in c++ programs/libraries. Don't ask me how to fix that, though.
;-) You could try to set the LD environment variable to a GNU ld before
calling ./configure (which will create a ./libtool with hard-coded paths and
linkage config). Hopefully you find a way.

(I am using gcc 2.95.3 and do nothing special / set no environment variable.
"cc -V" gives "cc: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C 5.3 2001/05/15" and "gcc
--version" points to "2.95.3". Oh, I see
LD_RUN_PATH=/software/gcc-2.95.3/SunOS-5.6/lib is set, don't know what that
does.)

> > > Undefined                       first referenced
> > > symbol                             in file
> > > Arts::SystemThreads::the()          .libs/dispatcher.o
> > > __builtin_delete                    .libs/thread.o
> > > __builtin_new                       .libs/thread.o
> > > __rtti_user                         .libs/thread.o
> > > __pure_virtual                      .libs/thread.o
> > > Arts::Mutex::~Mutex [in-charge]()   .libs/dispatcher.o
> > > __rtti_si                           .libs/thread.o
> > > vtable for Arts::Mutex              .libs/dispatcher.o
> > > vtable for Arts::ThreadCondition    .libs/dispatcher.o
> > > Arts::ThreadCondition::~ThreadCondition
> > > [in-charge]().libs/dispatcher.o
> > > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
> > > libmcop.la.closure
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > > *** Error code 1
> > > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libmcop.la.closure'
> > > Current working directory /export/home/kde3.1/arts-1.1/mcop
> > > *** Error code 1
> > > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
> > > Current working directory /export/home/kde3.1/arts-1.1
> > > *** Error code 1
> > > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS

--