Hello, new GSoC students

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed May 8 21:16:02 BST 2019

Hi, I wrote a welcome message to those new accepted student whom I "mass
subscribed". Can one of you either forward that to the list or copy/paste
it? It seems some did not get the message or didn't read it.

For instance, I saw a student ask in IRC about getting a developer account,
which was in that message. For the record, all of you accepted students
should be applying for KDE Developer accounts, and re-reading
https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/development as you get set up for
development in this bonding period. Ensure that your communication channels
are open and functioning with the team you'll be working with.

Remember, about half of your evaluations are on *communication*. It is your
responsibility to speak up: to blog about your progress and what is holding
you back, to regularly talk with your team and mentor(s), and ask for help
when you need it. Do NOT suffer in silence! Get in the habit of stopping to
breathe when you feel the tension rising, get out of your chair and move a
bit, then come back refreshed. If research doesn't show you better
alternatives, reach out to your team. They are your backstop, and they want
your success!

All the best

Valorie

PS: Thanks in advance for doing passing along that message to your fellow
students.