GSoC -- coming to the close

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 03:15:13 BST 2019

Hi students, we're in the final stage now. How are you holding up? Have you
worked out all the kinks in working with your team, and with the wider KDE
community?

We very much want all of you to stay involved once GSoC is over, maintain
and support your code, and move on other functions in the community.

One thing we hope you will consider is mentoring younger students, 13 to 18
years old, in Google Code-In, which Google has done for the past few years
in the late fall to early winter. It has not yet been announced for this
year, so stay tuned. In the meantime, think about small tasks that you wish
you had time to accomplish before the end of GSoC -- within your own
project, or in other parts of the code you investigated.

This could include writing unit tests, running code through various
checkers, improving screen shots for user docs, doing promo tasks for your
team - use your creativity. As you think of ideas, jot them down somewhere
so when/if the contest begins, you are ready with ideas.

If you feel qualified, you can step up to mentor or co-mentor a Season of
KDE student too! And of course if you don't feel you can mentor, you can
think of a proposal to do a SoK this year -- or next year. Or both!

If there is any way I can help you, please reply here, or privately to
kde-soc-management at kde.org. As well, don't forget to ask here for help that
your fellow students can offer.

All the best,

Valorie