Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] GSoC 2018 Student Applications now open

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 03:07:37 UTC 2018

Hi students! Now is the time to ensure that you are:

1. subscribed to the mail list of the teams with whom you want to work

2. in good communication with your probable mentor(s) and team,
whether on the team list, on IRC or whatever the team's favorite
communication channel

3. already have fixed some bugs or otherwise creating some commits to
the KDE codebase, or at least be in the process of doing that

4. have started to sketch out your proposal, and be actively asking
for feedback about your ideas. Your proposal will not be accepted if
the team doesn't want to do what you propose, no matter how
well-written it is, so be sure you are heading in the right direction
before spending all those hours.

Remember, there are *some* mentors who read this list, but it is for
us admins to talk to you, the students, *and* for you students to help
one another. And believe me, students who help others are much more
likely to be selected for GSoC. KDE participates not because we want
fantastic code from you, although of course we want that, but because
we want YOU.

That's right, you. We want you to become KDE developers not for just a
summer, and not for the stipend, but because you believe in our
mission, you enjoy working with our teams, you want to support your
code and you want to be part be part of the KDE family.

All the best,

Valorie