Google Summer of Code 2017 - Wrap Up, and What's Next

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Tue Sep 5 15:52:50 UTC 2017

Hi GSoC students,

Google Summer of Code 2017 is officially over. If you haven't gotten them
already, Google will notify you of your results in the next few minutes.
>From all the mentors and the administrators of the KDE Student Programs,
we'd like to thank you for participating in the programme, for advancing
KDE and open source software, and for the great experience we head together
for the last 3 months.

GSoC 2017 may be over, but we're just getting started.

We hope that you will want to stick around with the KDE Community after
this programme. There are lots of friends to make, lots of new things to
learn, lots of code and documentation to write, lots of artwork to design,
and many, many meetups and conferences to go to. Specifically,

* If you're looking for another GSoC like experience where you will be
mentored by someone to complete a specific project, we have Season of KDE
coming up towards the end of the year. SoK is much more relaxed, and unlike
GSoC, in SoK your project can be non-code, such as setting up
infrastructure, improving documentation and artwork, and so on. While you
don't get a cash stipend for SoK, you do get a t-shirt and goodies, and
travel support to attend Akademy in Vienna next year.

* If you want to mentor students yourself, get ready for Google Code-In.
GCI is open to school students who are just getting their teeth into
real-work open source projects, and as a mentor you can lead students
through mini tasks, such as fixing their first bug, making small
contributions, fixing documentation and translations, evangelising the
project and even implementing a feature if they can!

* If you want to attend your first KDE conference, we will have conf.kde.in
in India in Q1/Q2 2018, and Akademy 2018 in Vienna, Austria in Q3/Q4 2018.
Keep contributing, and you may have quite a lot to talk about by the time
the conferences come around! There are also local community meetups; just
look around in the IRC channels or ask your mentor (or us) if you want to
meet with KDE contributors in person.

Finally, in the next few days we'll do a small survey with all the GSoC
2017 students. Watch this space for updates. Your feedback will help us
conduct later editions of GSoC and SoK better, and we will also share some
of the results of the survey with Google at the Mentor Summit this year.

Till next time, from all of us at KDE Student Programs,

Boudhayan Gupta
KDE e.V. - Community Working Group
+49 151 71032970