To all accepted GSoC students

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu May 4 17:17:04 UTC 2017

Dear KDE GSoC students,

Congratulations! We’re so happy to have you as *our* student here in
the KDE Community.

We hope you are already acquainted with your mentors and the teams
within which you will work, and comfortable with the workflow in KDE.
If you have some questions around this, KDE’s student SoC list is a
good place to ask; you are now subscribed, and are expected to stay
subscribed for the duration of GSoC.

By this time, you should have a KDE identity account, a login to
Phabricator, have your git all configured, have an account on
bugs.kde.org (separate from identity, unfortunately) and your blog set
up, ready to add to KDE Planet. If you need any help with any of
these, please write to your mentor or kde-soc-management at kde.org for
assistance. Many of your questions will be answered on
https://community.kde.org/GSoC.

Another page you’ll be using over and over is your own space at
https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2017/StatusReports. Begin to set it up
as soon as possible.

As you work, please keep your notes there, link your blog posts there,
add mockups, screenshots, explanations, etc. As time goes on, you’ll
be very happy you kept this information, even if it isn’t polished
until the end. You can see previous status reports to give you ideas,
but this is *your space* to shine! You can use this page not just for
your final submission to Google, but also link to this report later,
as you apply for internships, scholarships, entrance to specialized
programs and perhaps even as you look for a professional position.

Finally, remember that we value quality, communication and
collaboration. Do not suffer alone if you get stuck. If you have
researched but cannot find an answer, talk to your mentors, and talk
to your team. They have been where you are, and can be your best
guides forward. We want you to succeed! Of course we want your code,
but more than that, we want you as a happy and productive part of the
KDE community. Your frequent communication with the team is an
important part of the evaluation process all through GSoC. To be
clear, a lack of communication will mean a fail.

All the best for your 2017 Google Summer of Code with KDE,

Valorie Zimmerman, Bhushan Shah for the KDE SoC admin team

--
http://about.me/valoriez