Help with KIO

Arnav Dhamija arnav.dhamija at gmail.com
Fri May 13 20:19:13 UTC 2016

Hi David Faure!

I am a first year undergrad student in India working on Dolphin for the
GSoC. My project
<https://storage.googleapis.com/summerofcode-prod.appspot.com/gsoc/core_project/doc/1458887038_gsoc-proposal.pdf?Expires=1463256722&GoogleAccessId=summerofcode-prod%40appspot.gserviceaccount.com&Signature=x2uKW5p5z71Lm8Eyvs5T88GjvqT8kemd4GhrAw64HmhJ4eYdbuIqcAcG5YCngzFiaZFz761HeT2%2BoVYz5B1uWg%2ByrhSz4nxSSnjeFOM0ZR0hgws71UE098useJLYltby2CU5Jx8ZMo74%2BWqQfiqTornlirfPplW9Tdmjpy1K22o%2Fnp3t%2F60ktPte0SOzKNz4Y3u4%2FJiwPfSiYvXTP%2BAxyupbl6RZ7yi9b3oODKl3CyS57uzct2wCT08C8rR5j93EMGWx%2FRE34Q1dUWY3t5LWhwVu%2FWAF1%2BX3%2F6rpmLSGfOxpGh%2BciCdGaSbbowM6fQkdtHseCu3XNBksr%2BRgobbtUA%3D%3D>
is a novel idea based on implementing a virtual folder in Dolphin to act as
a staging area for putting files. Such a virtual folder can make selections
which were hitherto much more difficult to make. For instance, keeping this
virtual folder in a Split view mode in Dolphin can make it possible to
select files from disjoint directory trees.

With regards to the implementation of this project, I have settled on using
a KIO slave to populate the list of files placed in the staging area. The
use of a KIO slave will make this project much more versatile as it can
interact not only with Dolphin, but the whole suite of KDE applications
such as Konqueror and Plasmoids. This is where I will need your guidance
for this project as existing documentation on KIO slaves do not cover KF5
specific details and hence as a side-project, I wish to improve the
documentation for writing KIO Slaves.

Thank you!

--
arnav dhamija