GSoC 2016 - Project: IRC protocol

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:51:55 UTC 2016

Hi! That you for your interest. Ccing kopete-devel and kde-soc. Maybe
other people could answer questions better.

On Thursday 24 March 2016 02:41:47 Игорь Коняхин wrote:
> Hi
> My name is Igor Konyakhin.
> I am 4th-year student at the department of Computer Science of Moscow State
> University.
> I have an experience using many programming languages (especially C, C++,
> C#, JavaScript). My knowledge of algorithms is quite good and the code I
> write is easy to understand. I am currently more of Windows user but I
> would like to learn more about Linux. I think doing project during the
> summer is a good way to start using Linux, learn a lot of new things and
> contribute to an open source project at the same time. I would like to do
> "IRC protocol" project and I can implement IRC client with GUI as well.

For Kopete project we need IRC supported integrated into Kopete
application itself. Not new UI or new application.

> I already have an experience using Qt. This project is relatively simple so I

Be careful, from my experiences from last year, this is not simple as
students can think!

> can learn how to use Linux and at the same time focus on quality, producing
> code you won't need to rewrite.
>
> Some questions I have:
> 1) Do you still accept students for this project?

For each project we can accept only one student. As you can see on
kopete-devel mailing list, more students were interested... But we will
see how many of them write proposal.

> 2) How do I need to report my progress during the summer?

If there will be no problem, every week or two could be enough. In
project proposal you should write timeline for each week...

> 3) Is it hard to get accepted for this project?

Depends.

> 4) What kind of test tasks do I need to make in order to be accepted for
> this project?

>From my side, I would like to see some (small) contribution to Kopete
project. E.g. fixing some bug, adding new small feature...

> 5) If I successfully complete your test task does it mean I am 100%
> accepted to GSoC?

No. First, I do not want to be mentor for more than one project (due to
my free time; I can be co-mentor for more) and projects without mentor
cannot be selected. Second, it is up to whole KDE organization who to
select/accept, not only on me. And third on one project can work
maximally one student. So if there will be more students for one project
we would need to select one or none.

> In other words, do I need to apply to several
> organizations or is it safe to focus on a particular one?

Depends. If you are interested in more projects or in different
organizations (where you have real interest) I could suggest you to
apply also to more. But in this case let us know if you are more or less
interested in projects in other organization...

> 6) I can start doing my project in early April. This way I will have three
> weeks to prove my commitment. Does my work during this period count towards
> my acceptance?

According to timeline, between 25 March and 22 April we will be
selecting students. Accepted students will be announced in 22 April.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com