Restrictive firewalls

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:38:15 UTC 2016

On Sunday 05 June 2016 12:09:30 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Please also lobby the university IT departments to remove port 22
> restrictions for all students (removing them for specific students is
> insufficient from my perspective), and provide the names of offending
> Universities here, so we can publicly criticise these Universities for
> their problematic policies - which for me at least - disqualifies them
> as eligible institutions for participation in GSoC.

I agree with this. Such restriction for port 22 does not bring any
security and cause only problems for students. And technically
orientated universities should have people who understand that
Internet != facebook && Internet != gmail && Internet != web_cloud.

I'm also for creating list universities with problematic policies, so
both students and mentors will see if they would have problems or not.
If universities with their restrictions does not want to allow their
students to participate in GSoC program then students should know it
before GSoC program starts...

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com