Restrictive firewalls

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Jun 5 00:09:30 UTC 2016

Hi Mentors, Students,

As of late we've received a couple of complaints that people cannot
access git.kde.org, when the system is actually fine. This is usually
due to the restrictive (and non-Eduroam compliant) firewalls operated
by Universities these students are accessing the internet through.

The following snippet can be placed in ~/.ssh/config to access
git.kde.org over port 443, which in many instances (except where their
firewalls perform DPI) is sufficient to bypass these byzantine
firewalls.

Host git.kde.org
     Port 443

Please also lobby the university IT departments to remove port 22
restrictions for all students (removing them for specific students is
insufficient from my perspective), and provide the names of offending
Universities here, so we can publicly criticise these Universities for
their problematic policies - which for me at least - disqualifies them
as eligible institutions for participation in GSoC.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin