regarding contributing to KDE-Education project "Pairs" |Mentoring

Harsh Thakkar harsh9t at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 07:42:43 UTC 2014

Dear KDE & KDE-SOC Community,

It is a pleasure to learn that KDE-SOK 2014 has been announced a few days
ago with a vast variety of projects. I am a keen user of open-source
software, but haven't been able to contribute since a long time. I would
like to take the KDE-SOK opportunity to repay the wonderful community.

I am interested in contributing to the KDE-EDU project "Pairs". I find it
really interesting and crucial as children are the most valuable resources
to the society. Pairs focuses on brain stimulating games and is useful not
only to children but to almost any age group of people. I use it almost
daily for my daily brain exercise.

I would like to propose a project as a mentor to the pairs project. I have
a few things in mind:

1. Porting the Pairs project to QT 5. [It has been ported to QT 4x version
link- http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=pairs.git]
- Transiting to Qt 5 from Qt 4.x is not expected to be significant, but
the “modularization” of the Qt code base requires some amount of changes to
project configuration, such as use of “headers”, and configuration of
project build settings (such as changes to the *.pro files).

-This would require knowledge of qml, qt5 and basic C++.

2. In the latest version pushed by Aleix Pol and Marco Calignano, there are
a few TODO's they proposed, i would like to include them into this idea and
solve the remainders. These include:
a) Adding scroll bar in-case of more than one player is involved to
eliminate the over-lapping on the display
b) Getting rid of window border
c) In the game Logic and SoundLogic there is a need to highlight the first
selected card of each turn

Looking forward to hear from you people!
Some handy resources -
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Transition_from_Qt_4.x_to_Qt5 and

Affectionate regards,
Harsh Vrajesh Thakkar
Research Scholar |BioNLP, Information Retrieval
Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information Communication Technology,
Gandhinagar
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/harsh9t> |LinkedIn
<http://in.linkedin.com/in/thakkarharsh> |Twitter
<https://twitter.com/Harsh9t> |Web <http://harshthakkar.in/>

"People cannot go wrong, if you don't let them.  They cannot go right,
unless you let them."