regarding contributing to KDE-Education project "Pairs" |Mentoring

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Oct 21 10:31:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Harsh Thakkar <harsh9t at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear KDE & KDE-SOC Community,
>
> It is a pleasure to learn that KDE-SOK 2014 has been announced a few days
> ago with a vast variety of projects. I am a keen user of open-source
> software, but haven't been able to contribute since a long time. I would
> like to take the KDE-SOK opportunity to repay the wonderful community.
>
> I am interested in contributing to the KDE-EDU project "Pairs". I find it
> really interesting and crucial as children are the most valuable resources
> to the society. Pairs focuses on brain stimulating games and is useful not
> only to children but to almost any age group of people. I use it almost
> daily for my daily brain exercise.
>
> I would like to propose a project as a mentor to the pairs project. I have
> a few things in mind:
>
> 1. Porting the Pairs project to QT 5. [It has been ported to QT 4x version
> link- http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=pairs.git]
> - Transiting to Qt 5 from Qt 4.x is not expected to be significant, but
>   the “modularization” of the Qt code base requires some amount of changes
> to project configuration, such as use of “headers”, and configuration of
> project build settings (such as changes to the *.pro files).

I'm actually amazed that you managed to write such a long e-mail and not
realize we don't use .pro files, anywhere in KDE.

> -This would require knowledge of qml, qt5 and basic C++.
>
> 2. In the latest version pushed by Aleix Pol and Marco Calignano, there
> are a few TODO's they proposed, i would like to include them into this idea
> and solve the remainders. These include:
> a) Adding scroll bar in-case of more than one player is involved to
> eliminate the over-lapping on the display
> b) Getting rid of window border
> c) In the game Logic and SoundLogic there is a need to highlight the first
> selected card of each turn
>
> Looking forward to hear from you people!
> Some handy resources -
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Transition_from_Qt_4.x_to_Qt5 and

?? why do you tell us about the Qt 4 to 5 port?

Anyway, best thing will be that you send an e-mail to Marco and I.
Currently the port to Qt 5 is underway and it's not trivial as we're
transitioning over mixed used between QtDeclarative and QGraphicsView to
QGraphicsScene.

Cheers!
Aleix