Question about the Android idea

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sat Mar 16 22:05:28 UTC 2013

Hi Alberto,

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Alberto Pastrolin
<albertopastrolin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am an Italian university student; I have discovered the gsoc thanks to
> an older student, and looking into the ideas I've seen the idea of the
> Android integration, but it isn't really clear: can I ask you more details?
> I know quite well the Android system (I'm not a developer but I like to play
> with the system), and I know well Java and standard C, QT only played
> sometimes with pyQT, but i have some months to learn better in case: if some
> other skill are requested can you write them?

Android integration of which KDE project in particular? You need to be
a tad more specific, KDE is several dozens of projects and a big
community :)

As for the Google Summer of code and KDE, here is the mail with
acollection of links we currently send out to students who request
about GSoC participation:

Dear student,

GSoC 2013 has only just been announced and we are currently creating
the list of ideas for GSoC which will be available as soon as KDE is
accepted as a participating project.

In the mean time I strongly suggest you read the KDE guide [1] first
and get familiar with KDE and its various projects as much as
possible. To be able to select a particular project you need to be
quite familiar with it, so make sure you learn as much as possible in
the mean time, mostly by using KDE and reading the documentation of
the various projects.

Getting not only familiar with the project but also get some first
coding experience and getting acquainted with the KDE developers is a
strongly recommended, so please have a look at the Junior Jobs in
Bugzilla [2]

You should also subscribe to the KDE SoC mailing list [3] where all
announcements regarding GSoC will be made.

Some important information regarding KDEs GSoC planning can be found
on the KDE Community wiki [4]

[1] http://flossmanuals.net/kde-guide/
[2] http:/kde.org/jj
[4] http://community.kde.org/GSoC

If you have never worked on Free Software before, here is some
important background information as well as some additional reads we
recommend:

About Free Software: [5]
How to ask questions and communicate: [6], [7] and [8]
Some basic mailing list and IRC etiquette: [9] and [10]

[5]: http://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software
[6]: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[7]: http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#i-want-2-do-project-tell-me-wat-2-do
[8]: http://whathaveyoutried.com/