Fixing up problems relating to Ark

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sat Mar 9 10:05:45 UTC 2013

Hi Madura,

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Madura Anushanga <madura.x86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a student from University of Colombo School of Computing, Sri Lanka. I
> use KDE on top of Arch Linux, KDE is great for desktop use but somewhat
> awkward usages on Ark keeps me frowning at it every time I have to extract
> some file from an archive. It's easy to extract single files, but what about
> multiple ones? Even though you can select multiple files you cant drag and
> drop to extract, and there's the infamous "set desktop file view's path to
> ~/Desktop to extract to desktop, otherwise it extracts to ~/". I'm thinking
> of polishing these rough edges and making Ark more effective for the common
> use cases.

GSoC 2013 has only just been announced and we are currently creating
the list of ideas for GSoC which will be available as soon as KDE is
accepted as a participating project.

In the mean time I strongly suggest you read the KDE guide [1] first
and get familiar with KDE and its various projects as much as
possible. To be able to select a particular project you need to be
quite familiar with it, so make sure you learn as much as possible in
the mean time, mostly by using KDE and reading the documentation of
the various projects.

Getting not only familiar with the project but also get some first
coding experience and getting acquainted with the KDE developers is a
strongly recommended, so please have a look at the Junior Jobs in
Bugzilla [2]

Some important information regarding KDEs GSoC planning can be found
on the KDE Community wiki [4]

[1] http://flossmanuals.net/kde-guide/
[2] http://tinyurl.com/JuniorJobs-KDE
[4] http://community.kde.org/GSoC

Regards, Myriam

PS. Please do not send me private mail, use the mailing list for
further discussions

http://www.fsfe.org