Looking for a mentor for SoK

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Thu Aug 1 16:02:03 UTC 2013

Hey :)

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Roney Gomes <roney477 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I'm currently responsible for maintaining two games (KBounce and
> KNavalBattle) but couldn't give them much attention in the last months.
>
> So, I'd love to see the games receiving some attention but haven't
> prepared a proposal for a project nor any list of ideas, not to mention
> that I don't know what would be my responsibilities as a mentor.
>
> I'd really like to mentor anyone willing to work on KDE Games this
> summer but am afraid I'm not fit for the task. Hope Lydia -- or anyone
> organizing SoK -- will read this and explain me the implications of
> mentoring a student.
>
> If I see I can do it, then we'll have a productive summer working
> together. :-)

As a mentor you have 2 main tasks. The first one is introducing the
student to the community, how it works, how things are done and so on.
The second on is helping the student complete his project. This starts
with setting reasonable goals, breaking up the project into manageable
pieces, answering questions, helping get unstuck when needed and at
the end judging if the project was finished successfully or not. This
is a good resource even if in part specific to GSoC:
http://flossmanuals.net/gsocmentoring/
It'd be great if this project works out with you two :)

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors / KDE Community Working Group
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org