Proposal: Video devices in Phonon

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 6 18:08:46 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 11:40:44 am you wrote:
> 2010/4/6 Trever Fischer <tdfischer at fedoraproject.org>
>
> > I submitted my proposal to the gsoc app, but haven't been able to get in
> > touch
> > with Ian Monroe, the proposed mentor for the topic, and nobody on kde-
> > multimedia seems to have read it. So maybe posting it here would get more
> > visibility.
> >
> > Here's the link to the proposal:
> >
> > http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/tdf
> > ischer/t126990074610
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments.
> > --
> > Trever Fischer (tdfischer)
> > Fedora Ambassador, KDE Hacker
> > http://wm161.net
> > GPG: C40F2998 hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net

> I'm not sure why could I read that but I'll give you my opinion (as a
> Kamoso comaintainer :) since I cannot in the gsoc website because I'm
> applying as a student too.
Because I posted the public URL

> It would be nice if instead of creating an application you ported Kamoso.
> It's a KDE application now (in kde developers group in gitorious) and if
> you can provide all features kamoso does you'll have done a great job
> already. We are very very very very⁴ interested on having a solution out
> of VLC that we're using right now, so we're looking forward to Phonon
> input devices's progress.
Sounds like a plan. I'll update my proposal.
> Note that we need video capture too, but maybe that's out of scope. But
> anyway you need to make it possible for apps to retrieve more that simply
> frames, IM applications will want to use that also.
No, video capture is exactly the scope of this. Capturing a frame should be
the application's job, done by having the stream draw to a qimage instead of a
qwidget, then pausing the stream for a frame.

> There's some work in playground for such API's, you should definitely check
> what's wrong with those and move them to the next level :)
Already did. I did some hacking on them to get them to sorta work, but I only
managed to get the clone of kopete's video capture code to work. Anything more
than that would likely need a full-scale restart since it hasn't been touched
in over 3 years.

> Hope this helps!
> Aleix
I'm subscribed to kde-soc fwiw.