Proposal: Video devices in Phonon

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Apr 6 17:40:44 CEST 2010

2010/4/6 Trever Fischer <tdfischer at fedoraproject.org>

> I submitted my proposal to the gsoc app, but haven't been able to get in
> touch
> with Ian Monroe, the proposed mentor for the topic, and nobody on kde-
> multimedia seems to have read it. So maybe posting it here would get more
> visibility.
>
> Here's the link to the proposal:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/tdfischer/t126990074610
>
> I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments.
> --
> Trever Fischer (tdfischer)
> Fedora Ambassador, KDE Hacker
> http://wm161.net
> GPG: C40F2998 hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net

I'm not sure why could I read that but I'll give you my opinion (as a Kamoso
comaintainer :) since I cannot in the gsoc website because I'm applying as a
student too.

It would be nice if instead of creating an application you ported Kamoso.
It's a KDE application now (in kde developers group in gitorious) and if you
can provide all features kamoso does you'll have done a great job already.
We are very very very very⁴ interested on having a solution out of VLC that
we're using right now, so we're looking forward to Phonon input devices's
progress.
Note that we need video capture too, but maybe that's out of scope. But
anyway you need to make it possible for apps to retrieve more that simply
frames, IM applications will want to use that also.

There's some work in playground for such API's, you should definitely check
what's wrong with those and move them to the next level :)

Hope this helps!
Aleix