The one fault you CANNOT make

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Thu May 15 10:29:28 CEST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Pierre said:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> > is lack of communication.

> > I am requiring AT LEAST one email per week from you to your mentor (and
> > vice-versa) about your progress. Even if the email is "Busy with exams,
> > no coding done this week". Please don't forget it.

> If we don't send emails but instead speak with the mentor near of
> every day on IRC, is that enough ?

No, because the weekly emails form a structured record of your progress.  An
IRC log is not structured and can easily decompose into "Ping." "Pong."
without mentioning your work that week or results.

One form you could try is a so called RAG report where you group items into
Red, Amber(Orange) and Green items.

Red are real problems

Amber are things that could become a problem

Green items are fine

eg

[RED]
* No release from upstream project fixing critical bug my code depends on, 1
weeks before deadline
* Dog ate my laptop with all my uncommitted code on libbarfoo

[AMBER]
* Still don't understand libfoobarbaz enough to make it work with my project

[GREEN]
* Adopted libfoobarbaz successfully
* Wrote unit tests
* Had IRC meeting with mentor