Coming up on 3 weeks

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Mon Jun 16 15:50:03 CEST 2008

On Saturday 14 June 2008 00:46:51 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Hello students
>
> we're coming up on three weeks. I'd like to get some first impressions
> from you?
>
> How easy was your approach to KDE code?

Quite easy since I've already done a bit of work on plasma before joining the summer of code. Plus
plasma and Qt are very well designed and quite easy to work with.

> Have you started writing code already, or are you doing high-level
> designs? Or are you still tied up in exams?

I've created a draft version of the api, and already implemented some parts of it. I've got some exams
coming up soon, after that I'll be able to make some progress on making it actually work well, and write
an actually useful applet that uses extenders. Pinheiro will be creating some mockups of extenders so
they also will be looking good. :)

> Have you committed anything (code, designs, etc.)?

I've committed some code to a git branch on gitorious. The api draft can be found on the panel-devel
mailing list.

> Have you blogged? If you haven't, you should. Talking about your ideas
> often gets more people interested and giving you feedback.

I've blogged about extenders once, already before the start of gsoc at http://pindablog.wordpress.com
I'll blog some more when i've got something interesting to show. Everybody loves screenshots right.

> How do you like the community so far, for those of you who weren't part of
> it? Were you well received?

The community is great. A lot of enthusiastic and very knowledgeable people. :)

regards,
Rob Scheepmaker