May is on

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu May 3 20:20:24 CEST 2007

Hello students!

Welcome to the kde-soc mailing list. We have set up this mailing list in
order to send general announcements to you regarding the SoC programme.
If you have questions about the program itself, feel free to post it
here.

However, development questions should go to the proper mailing lists.

Anyways, KDE is happy to host no less than 40 students this Summer. This
is quite impressive and shows how important KDE is for the Open Source
community. We are all glad that you chose us.

If you haven't done so yet, introduce yourself to your mentor (if you
want, Cc the mailing list for the rest of us to know you). Explain why
you chose KDE, what you expect to accomplish with your project, etc.

May 28th is the official start date of the project. That means you have
until then to familiarise yourself with the way KDE and the module you're
going to work on function. Familiarise yourself as well with your
mentor's job and the key developers in the module in question. Exploring
the source code is a good idea too.

Also importantly, make sure you have a working build of the module in the
next two weeks. The last thing we need is for May 28 to come and you
still can't build the source code.

Hello mentors!

If you haven't done so yet, introduce yourself to your student. Say a bit
about yourself, what you work on, your interests, etc.

Mentors and students alike:
if you have any commitment for the duration of the project (say, a 2-week
planned vacation), be sure to let your mentor or your student know.

I'd also like there to be at least one communication per week between each
pair. Generally, it should be the student to send an email (at least!)
explaining what he's been doing. Nothing fancy, though. However, if the
other party isn't replying, please let your admin know.

That's all.
Happy Hacking!
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358