[Google SoC] Any update?

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Wed Jul 20 21:36:10 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 20. Juli 2005 21:24 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Sean O'Dubhghaill wrote:
> >One thing I was wondering about, Google wouldn't mind if I post my
> > mockups to kde-usability to get some criticism or does that count as
> > not doing the project on my own.
>
> No, of course not. You can discuss your project with anyone you wish.

Actually, this is the way open source software works. So I think it would be
bad if you didn't do it like this!

The "on your own" was meant by Google that no two SoC students are allowed to
take on the same project together (as a team). But otherwise Google didn't
specify any restrictive rules (as far as I understood, it's up to the mentors
and the mentoring organization to decide if the student really achieved
his/her goals for the project...).

> I've exaggerated with this idea of doing projects on one's own. You are of
> course free to discuss, reuse someone else's code,

...of course, as long as you follow the licensing restrictions (i.e. only use
GPL-compatible code in GPL'ed software), and keep the copyright intact (when
you use copyrightable potions of code), etc... [1]

Cheers,
Reinhold

[1] Sorry if this is clear to anyone anyway, but it's quite easy to fall into
this trap. E.g. when you take GPL'ed code from an application and copy it to
a library (which is under the LGPL). This is not allowed... (and that's one
reason why we can't put some useful code we have from third parties into
kdelibs...)
Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna, Austria
email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien, http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at